Internship Opportunity – Writing, communications and event intern
Bristol Food Connections festival is an annual citywide celebration of food, first running in 2014. The BBC Food and Farming Awards have been proudly hosted in Bristol since 2013, and from 2014-16 were the launch event of Bristol Food Connections, attracting UK-wide coverage on TV, radio and online and some of the biggest names in the UK food world to the city.
This year’s event runs from 11th – 17th June 2018, and residents and visitors alike will be taken on a journey of exploration and discovery of all that is GREAT about food in Bristol – it’s a week when food takes over the city, and we shine a light on all the great people, businesses and organisations that make Bristol’s food culture so uniquely independent.
This internship is a unique opportunity to explore and immerse yourself in the Bristol food scene and culture. With a focus on communications, the focus will be on generating interesting and engaging content to support the promotion of the 2018 festival, alongside the chance to assist with some key aspects of delivering the event itself.
It is an ideal opportunity for an aspiring food writer or journalist, or someone wishing to expand their experience of event management. As part of the internship you will be introduced to and be working with some of the key figures in the Bristol food scene to help generate content, as well as having the valuable learning opportunity of working with our communications partner, Wonderland Comms.
- Writing articles and other content for the Bristol Food Connections website, newsletter and other channels
- Assisting with content writing and development of the festival programme
- Help develop existing and new partnerships
- Researching the theme for our 2019 event
- Provide event support in the run up to and during the 2018 event (for example, liaising with event organisers and venues, assisting with event production, attending events to support social media and monitoring and recording event outcomes).
Qualifications and experience
- Exceptional writing skills with a good understanding of grammar and the ability to write succinctly, professionally and in an engaging way.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to work to a deadline
- Good interpersonal skills and experience of working in a team
- A positive and enthusiastic attitude
- An interest in and passion for food and community engagement
Deadlines and duration
Duration: At least 2 months, up to maximum of 5 months (depending on availability).
Hours: A minimum of 2 days a week, ideally one of which is either a Monday or Thursday to coincide with core team days.
Start date: Mid-February, or later (subject to availability)
Level: Voluntary Internship. We can cover out of pocket travel expenses and £5 per day for lunch.
Application deadline: Friday 16th February, 12pm.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter of NO MORE THAN 1 SIDE OF A4 covering why you would like the position and detailing your relevant skills and experience.
A sample of your writing that demonstrates your suitability for the role. This must also be NO MORE THAN 1 SIDE OF A4.
Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org by midday on Friday 16th February. For any queries, please call 0117 927 6350.