Did you know that you could win an award for being a sustainable food business?
We’ve teamed up with Bristol Eating Better as part of this year’s Food Connections festival; they’ve been hard at work incentivising Bristol’s eateries to become more green. You can find them at our Festival Hub on Sat 16th June.
The Bristol Eating Better Award scheme publicises food businesses that are taking action to offer food that is healthier and more environmentally friendly, and it’s completely free to get involved! They provide guidance on how you can meet the increasing demand for healthier and more environmentally friendly food AND they save you money.
Bristol is pioneering the eco-friendly, healthy food scene in the UK. Demand for it is high, and lots of our amazing restaurants, markets and cafes are doing incredible things to make Bristol greener and tastier. Some of the current award holders include:
- Baxter Storey at RBS (who will be at the Festival Hub to discuss the steps they’ve taken)
- BBC Canteen
- Buzz Lockleaze
- Café Ronak
- Eat a Pitta
- The Greenway Centre Café
- Star Fish Bar
- Windmill Hill City Farm Café
In 2016 Bristol was awarded Sustainable Food City silver status – with help from Bristol Eating Better, we’re going for gold!
The Bristol Eating Better scheme is about making small changes, offering a few alternatives and adopting different techniques. A few positive steps you can make are:
- Provide free drinking water
- Lower sugar, salt and saturated fat in some of your products
- Agree not to actively promote unhealthy items
- Make fruit and/or vegetables an inclusive part of every meal
- Take steps to minimise food waste
- Buy fish which isn’t on the endangered list
- Buy locally-produced food
If this sounds right up your street, then check out some of these Food Connection events focused on healthier and sustainable eating: